Fist off, let me say that I absolutely adore my all boys high school. The students are great, its close to my house, and the facilities are top notch. Yet the best aspect by far has been my coworkers. Let me share a few gems from the last week:
Upon visiting school for the first time, I was rushed into the Principals office to meet the head honcho. Armed with all the cultural knowledge I learned during Orientation, and ready to be a good cultural ambassador, I confidently entered the Principals chambers. After insas, we sat down. He immediately handed me a beer. And then another. And another. Not knowing what to do, (after all, it was the first day of school,) I said, "well, I guess the say, 'when in Rome do as the Romans do!" Nothing like getting wasted with your principal at 8 in the morning!
But it gets better. Much better.
Immediately after our early morning boost of liquid confidence, he decides to take me on a tour of the school. Within 5 seconds of leaving his office, he firmly clasps my hand. And doesn't let go. For the entire tour. And to boot, he proceeded to shower me with compliments about my devilish good looks! So here I am, hand in hand with my principal, walking (or more like drunkenly wobbling) around school at 8:45am. Mind you, students are present and eager to meet. me. Way to make a great first impression as a cultural ambassador!
But wait, it gets better.
After lunch, my coteacher and I went to get my cellphone and bank account. While he is a very kind, sweet gentlemen, his English is far from proficient. I'm pretty sure every staff member including the 60 year old home economics teacher speaks better English than him. But I digress...
Anyway, we get in his car to go to the cellphone store. Still recovering from the mornings' activites, my first thought was "oh, I am so happy that he's driving and not me!"
Then, all of the sudden....
BHAAAAM!
"Oh, so sorry! So sorry!"
My coteacher backed up into a parked car.
Before I could process what had just happened, we speeded out of the parking lot.
Welcome to Guemseong High School!
-Josh
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete